Thursday 12 April 2012

Game Two: Wargame Insomniac's High Elves

I know Wargame Insomniac well as we used to play in the same dungeons and dragons group. We chat a little about us having very different takes on the High Elf list despite the low points value, which puts us a little behind the ball in terms of time, something that I would have to play very quickly as the game went on to come back from and squeeze the game into the time slot.


I go first, barring a 6 from the other side. I can't think of a better time to go first as I have lots of shooting and so does he. His army is more magic heavy and has bolt throwers. I resolve to take out his throwers and then concentrate on keeping him at arms length, taking any opportunity to panic wizard holding units.

We are playing dawn attack and my Princes and small Reavers end up in a poor locale where as his force is entirely central. With a block of seaguard and 2 repeaters he has about as much shooting as me but if I can remove the throwers I can achieve ranged superiority. I decide to disengage from his Swordmasters, who are holding the banner of sorcery, because if I start felling then he won't move them at me - something I am going to need to happen if I want my Princes to get in behind him.

Its a tactical game but it largely goes to plan. Eagles and Reavers run in and remove the throwers very early on and my archers thin out his Spears and Seaguard. He eventually realizes he has the Swordmasters and goes after me and I move in for the kill pincering him between my Swordmasters and Princes.

With his Annulian Crystal and Jewel every magic phase is really painful but otherwise I think my superior shooting and speed give me a huge advantage.

I win 1675 - 217.

No comments:

Post a Comment